Post a reply

16 posts

Return to General

Posted by snowy on 25 Feb 2009

Surfing Tattoos

Hey everyone, first poster here.

I've actually been looking for a while with no luck for tattoo designs of surfing related. In particular I'm looking at getting one done myself of an "inside the barrel looking out" image. I really like the stylings of Drew Brophy and his work has been the closest to what I think I would get done. Can anyone help with other artists that do similar work?

Does anyone know or have any examples of different surfing related tattoos?

Cheers

Snowy

Posted by Gezza on 27 Feb 2009

Know the feeling! I have been looking as well, as I want to incorporate some surfing into a sleeve design, but apart from Brophy, have not found anything. As nice as Brophy's designs are, they are a little "naive" for my liking, and I will keep looking. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Gezza

Posted by surferinred on 27 Feb 2009

Andy Davis would definately be a cool inspiration for a tattoo I think...

Posted by snowy on 03 Mar 2009

Gezza wrote:Know the feeling! I have been looking as well, as I want to incorporate some surfing into a sleeve design, but apart from Brophy, have not found anything. As nice as Brophy's designs are, they are a little "naive" for my liking, and I will keep looking. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Yeh I agree they are little too cartoony for what I am after. Does anyone remember the artwork designed for the Quiksilver Gold Coast pro in 2008? I can't seem to the find these artworks anywhere or who did them?

Posted by surferinred on 13 Mar 2009

Drew Brophy - "My inspiration for a tattoo"

Just found this on Drew Brophy's website...

My Inspiration - for a Tattoo

He's got Drew's “SUNSPLASH” tatted on his arm.

“Drew, My Inspiration!”

Posted by triciatos45 on 21 Jun 2010

Re: Surfing Tattoos

You know what, I like surfing tattoo. Of course there are wave tattoos, then various tribal tattoos, anything related to Hawaii, anything a bit more spiritual or just plain and simple words that represent the essence of surfing, words that represent the stoke, words that represent your feelings towards surfing. How I wish I could have this too in my body. But I think I would have to consult first my boyfriend. Last edited by triciatos45 on 25 Jun 2010, edited 2 times in total. tess taylor's tattoos

Posted by Ron Croci on 22 Jun 2010

If you want a beautiful tattoo, and you have money, please call me. Ron Croci 310 375 4203

Posted by GlenShane on 30 Mar 2011

Surfing tattoo designs are unique because they are often combined with butterflies and hearts. Different types of flowers will portray different meaning. With so many types of flowers available, the choices are endless.
www.hottattoodesignsonline.com

Posted by Nice Rack on 24 Jun 2011

These are some awesome tattoos! I have one question. Does it hurt to get a tattoo?
I'm a real wuss when it comes to pain. http://www.thenicerack.com/

Posted by phoam on 15 Jul 2011

of course it hurts!
Its a needle driving ink into your skin rapidly.

There is a great tattoo artist in New Zealand, and a great surfer, called Shayne Baxter, awesome maori surf inspired designs.
Did Tom Carroll's tat
An artist in his own right as a carver too.

Posted by mnavos on 24 Aug 2011

this looks really familiar... :)
Attachments
Cheryl-web-surfing-tattoo-Jay_Alders-FL.jpg

Posted by cotw on 29 Mar 2012

Rick Rietveld tattoo

This guy got one of Rick Rietveld's paintings tattooed on his calf...

rick-rietveld-tattoo.jpg

Here's the original painting...

Posted by GameAdrenaline on 14 Nov 2012

I love the bicep waves. Those are very well done.

Leave a comment

Advertise on COTW

16 posts

Return to General

Our e-newsletter…

To receive our free e-newsletter, please enter your email address below and we'll keep you updated on new features, artists and photographers…